La Merce’s festivities start this Thursday, lasting until Sunday. Following our yearly tradition of recommending best events on Barcelona’s greatest celebration, here is our selection. If you like Art i Sa you will probably like them:
- Thursday at 7pm, is when the party officially starts, Ghotic Neighbourhood is where you should be!! Do not miss the main starting show: “el Seguici Inaugural” starting at Palau de la Virreina and finishing at Plaça de Sant Miquel. Or head to Plaça de la Catedral to see Sardanas (catalan traditional dance). Pay attention to all church bells singing at the same time pointing the start of our main celebration.
- In the afternoon and night at Parc de la Ciutadella is taking place the MAC, another festivity inside La Merce with many shows which emphasize street arts.
- At night at Plaça Sant Jaume, illuminating Main Government building, takes place the Merce “Mapping”
- And the best ending show that you should not miss is the Pirotecnic festival. Thursday and Saturday night at 10pm make sure you are at the beach to see wonderful fireworks.
Museums and Exhibitions:
- Free entrance to all expositions at “Museu Maritim de Barcelona”.
- Konw more about our city with this photografic exposition at “Palau de la Virreina or visit our main History Museum (free entrance)
- Main Governmental building at Plaça Sant Jaume can be visited only one day during the year, the 24th of September.
- Palau Güell, one of the main and less known Gaudi’s buildings has free and guided visits during those days
- Main traditional shows and exhibitions take place, starts or end at the very center of Barcelona: Plaça Sant Jaume. Our favourites: Xambanga de Gegants, All “dracs” (dragons) and “correfocs” (fire monsters) exhibition, Gegants dance, cavalcada, “dracs and correfocs” parade with dragons and mythical creatures (also for kids) and, obviously “castellers” main exhibition.
- Early in the morning, on 24th (main festivities day), starting from Plaça de La Merce takes place “La Graellada” and the “Graellada Trebucaire”.
- Taste our regional wines at Arc de Triomf
- Music and rice: try most famous Catalan paella while you listen to live music.
Music: Once more the city night is filled with music in every corner. There are plenty of music concerts to choose from. See general program.
Much more: Full “La Merce” events program on the following link: schedule of events.
Enjoy La Merce!!