Barcelona on Sunday
It´s Sunday…and the “Holy Day” for Barceloners, most of the pubic places and shops are closed this day. If you are about to visit the city on this day and want to do some shopping and culture visits, this is a list you should have in mind: Enjoy your HOLY DAY ;).
- Maremagnum Shopping Center: Is the only shopping centre that opens on Sunday. Located in Port Vell, by the sea. It can be accessed by crossing a beautiful, contemporary, floating wooden bridge, allowing visitors to enjoy magnificent views of the city’s waterfront – undoubtedly one of the highlights that make this shopping centre a favourite with tourists.
- Flea Market: is a Sunday’s monthly market, where people sell and swap second-hand goods such as clothes , accessories , books and music in good condition at reasonable prices. Flea Market Barcelona is a non-profit association that organizes outdoor markets in Barcelona in order to promote sustainable consumption. Two markets are organized every month: “ The Fleadonia” held in the Plaça Salvador Segui on the first Sunday and “ The Flea” which takes place in “Plaça Blanquerna” on the second Sunday.
- Port Vell Antique Market: held at the foot of Columbus Monument, you can find records, old and second-hand clothes, toys, coins, badges, minerals, copies of archaeological objects,sculpturesfrom old civilisations, and many other things.
- Port Vell Painters Market: held in Paseo d’ÌtacaonSaturdays, Sundays and public holidays throughout the year from 10:00 to 20:00 hours. You will find local artist’s works of all styles and techniques.
- Palau de Mar Craft Fair: Great fair where all kinds of craft products are sold : pendants, earrings, pottery, wood , canvas shoes , clothing, etc. It takes place at “Moll of Dipòsit” (Dock of Dipòsit) every Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, from September to June and from 11.00 to 20.30 every day on July and August.
- ART I SA Gourmet·Shop: At the entrance of Plaça Reial, at the coffee shop downstairs you can find the best selection of Catalan products made by artisans and crafters. If you are a foodie this is the place to shop to bring some very special things back home.
- Walking tours: Barcelona is a great city to walk around. Full of history and art, there are marvellous modernist, gothic and medieval buildings, street musicians, especially around gothic quarter the Cathedral where the acoustic is perfect and if you stand up, and listen you will be blessed, of course, it´s Sunday!! . In the following link you can find our recommended tour in the gothic:: Barcelona Gothic Quarter: 20 must see places.
- Palau de la Generalitat: the second and the fourth Sunday of every month (except August), the main Catalan Government house at Saint Jaume Square can be visited. Free guided tours are offered. Advanced online booking is is needed.
- Watch dancing Sardana at the Cathedral’s Square. Sunday morning local people meet at the main Square in front of the cathedral to dance in circles while a band plays the traditional music.
- Museums: Many Museums are free on Sundays afternoons or totally free on the first Sunday of every month. Here are our recommended ones: Jardí Botanic (Ciutadella Park), Maritim Museum of Barcellona, MNAC (Montjuic), MUHBA (Plaça de Rei) and The Virreina Photography Museum.
- And if you like the Seventh Art, The “Filmoteca”: The best place to enjoy author cinema in Original Version. The Film Archive of Catalonia, dating from 1981, whose main mission is the recovery, preservation, research and dissemination of films and audio visual works, as well as materials, documents, computers and any other element that is of interest to study cinema and audio visual in general and Catalan cinema in particular.
For eating and drinking you will not have any problem. Most of the restaurants , bars and cafes are open on Sundays. At Art I Sa we will be welcoming you from 9am until midnight for a cake, coffee, sandwiched or drinks.
And if you are just lazy, you wll always have the Beach: ENJOY YOUR TIME IN BARCELONA AND DON´T MISS A THING,EVEN IN A SUNDAY!!!!