The “Pa amb tomàquet” (“tumaca bread”, “pa amb tomàquet”, “pa amb tomata” or “pa amb tomaca” in the different Catalan dialects) is a traditional food of Catalan cuisine. It is considered a clear example of the Mediterranean diet.
The origin of the recipe was inspired by the bread with olive oil; slices of bread seasoned with olive oil and with a little salt. The union of bread and olive oil have been present in the Mediterranean cuisine from Ancient Greece. However, the tomato was introduced in Spain in the sixteenth century, and was not present in the Spanish cuisine to the eighteenth century. In 1884 dates the first reference to “Pa amb tomàquet” and thought that was devised in rural areas, at a time of plenty in tomato crops, them used to thus soften the bread, which was made once a week and it dried.
- To make the “Pa amb tomàquet” we need:
- Slices of bread, can be “pagès pa” or “pa de coca”
- ripe tomatoes, corsage tomato variety is the best.
- Olive oil
- Optional: Garlic
- How to prepare it:
- Slices of bread can be toasted, which makes a much more crisp and tasty bread
- If you want to add garlic, it gives a spicy flavor, it opens and rubs on the bread
- The tomato is split in half and one-half rubs on the bread
- Once everything is well spread, the bread is seasoned with a little salt and olive oil extra virgin.
The “Pa amb tomàquet” in Catalan cuisine can be a starter and a side dish, inclusive a main course, in which case usually accompanied by cold meats, cheeses, spanish omelette, salting, roasted vegetables, etc. .
In Art i Sa Barcelona you can taste the “pa amb tomàquet” in our traditional sandwich with Iberian ham. But, if you prefer to enjoy at home, in our deli shop there are a wide selection of extra virgin olive oils and salts to dress it.
We hope you come over to try it in our Bistro or enjoy it with family or friends at home!!!